As a child, I remember being at Grandma Johnson's house and mom would let Rosie and I walk up to the Crystal Palace on 13th East. It was this wonderful little neighborhood grocery store and we would go get an ice cream or a snickers bar. The cashier lady was married to one of the NSL police officers. She always knew who we were and it was a treat for us to get to go by ourselves to the store.
This morning Sam was up early as usual. I was out of milk and was desperately wanting a bowl of cereal. I debated letting him go to the Holiday gas station down the busy street of 1600 North. I decided that it would be ok, because he is smart and is getting more and more responsible every day. I asked him if he would do it and of course he was all over that! He got his money (which he let me borrow because I didn't want him taking my debit card) and got a backpack and was off on his bike faster than anything. He also asked if I would like a box of donuts or anything else. Is he my son, or what?!? :)
He was back in 30 minutes flat with a gallon of milk and a box of hostess chocolate donuts. (Of course it helps that my friend manages the gas station, so I texted him and told him to watch for Sam, and then he texted me when Sam was on his way back.)
I LOVE how my kids are growing up! Yeah for first time trips to the gas station by yourself!
I also remember walking all the way down the NSL hill to Orchard Drug, now that was a commitment. Rosie, do you remember how old we were when mom let us do this?
Gardens With Small Water Features Ideas
12 years ago
2 comments:
Wow, you are a much braver woman than me. I have to watch my kids watch down the street and make them call me when they get to their friend's house two streets over! Yes, I am the biggest worry wart of a mother around. Way to go Sam! What a responsible little man he is getting to be. Do you want to go to the park any time soon?
That's awesome! he probably mapped the whole thing out in advance. Love that he "added" the donuts to the necessaries list :)
I know we walked to school in Kindergarten so it would stand to reason that we were doing shopping trips in the 2nd or 3rd grade. I totally miss Crystal palace and the orange creamies. Good times indeed!
Post a Comment